Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Ring cycles, a class with Leesa Siegle


 


After what seems like forever I back, maybe briefly, to show what I have been doing.
 
This class was fabulous.   For me the class was about tackling and mastering Set In seams, there  is a lot of these to be done to make this quilt.  Leesa calls this quilt Ring Cycles but it is more commonly known as Jacks Chain. Leesa is a great teacher with lots of knowledge and all too willing to share with her students.
 
First it is making lots of 9 patch units, and 6 units are needed per hexagon.  So lots and lots are in order.  Mine are pieced very scrappy.  These units are 3" finished.

 
 





next,  a 60 degree triangle is sewn to each 9 patch, starting and stopping at the 1/4 inch mark.



then attach then all to the centre hexagon, easy as.  Yeah Right



I had started to make this quilt a few years ago and only got as far as one hexagon unit, slightly put off by all the set in seams. I had many of the pieces cut out and was really really hoping that the same pieces would be right for the class.  Yeah they were the exact sizes for the triangles and hexagons.
 
 
right from the start of making this quilt I had decided to use a big variety of neutrals and that was a good decision on my part.
 
 
 So as of now the I am making more 9 patch units and then joining them to the hexagons.  The first pattern I had was putting the quilt top together similar to a Double Wedding Ring with whole and part hexagons sewn in rows. .



With Leesa's quilt, lots of hexagon units are made and sew together with a two triangles sewn between the hexagons.  Rows are made and then sewn together, again with all set in seams. Then half hexagons used at the end of the rows to square off the edges.  This quilt will the end up finished when all the hexagons that I had cut previously are all sewn.




I am enjoying making this quilt, set in seams and all.  I do want to make this again, this Ring Cycles has been on my quilt bucket list for many years and am very glad I took the class.

1 comment:

  1. Taking a class is quite often the difference between trying something and hating it, or learning tips and ticks to make it so much easier, and loving the process and the end result. This is going to look gorgeous Fi.

    ReplyDelete